Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

Sick Goat (now Dead Goat)

This past Friday, I was awaken by my brother who wanted me to go out and check on his goat which had fallen over and wouldn't get up. When I went out, she was laying down and her head and neck were twisted to her left side.  To make a long story short, she went to the vet who thought she had polio (long name: polioencephalomalacia) so we started treating her for it however, Friday night about 1045pm, she died as I was giving her water.  She went out to UCONN and had a necropsy done today.  There was nothing outstanding on the gross necropsy, also known as cutting her open and examining all her internal organs.  It will be a little bit before we get the final necropsy report.  It's kind of neat because I got to be in on her necropsy and help out with it.  I have here a couple photos of the goat before she died.  The first one is her just laying down, not feeling right at all.  She wouldn't get up.  The second one is her right eye which was normal at the time.  The last photo is of her left eye which appeared ulcerate and then clouded over.  It will be very interesting, for me anyways, to see what the final diagnosis from the necropsy is!


  

1 comment:

snlanz said...

sounds like thats what one of my goats had that died. its head was the same way, twisted to its side.