Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Only In Vet School....

Day 2 is done.  The first two lectures this morning weren't bad at all.  The third and fourth one? Well, those were another story, especially the third one.  I guess when the titles of the lectures are Enterobacteriaceae, I should have known!  Anyways, we all made it through the lectures and now we just have to study to figure out what was actually going on!  One thing that I did learn this morning is that Dr. Paul, our parasitology professor is quite a guy!  He is pretty funny and seems like he likes to have a good time.  Here are some statements made by him in class today (these are not direct quotes, I can't remember exactly how he said everything:

Why don't you see many ticks on cats? Because they lick them off!  They are cleaning fanatics!  Theyu're like, "Eww, I don't want any of this!"

How do you treat giardia?  I would say drink a lot of beer, beer does kill giardia!

While talking about how parasites have to go to the right places in the body, he said,
I find it really interesting, I mean, how do heartworms know to go to the heart? 
How do roundworms know to go to the GI tract?
How do fax machines work? I don't get it, you stick a piece of paper in it, and it comes out somewhere else? 
How do planes fly? You have a 600 kazillion ton thing and it just flies up in the air! 
There are lot of little mysteries in this world!

Needless to say, a lot of us were laughing quite a bit!

Finally, an interesting fact I learned today in parasitology: ticks have enough oxygen in them, that when they are feeding (don't forget, they feed on animals blood), they can go for 7-10 days without breathing!

No comments: