Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

10/8 (Carla's Birthday!)

First things first: Happy 14th birthday to the baby of our family, Carla!

Last Thursday, we had our 3rd palpation lab.  My group was back to palpating cows.  We did regular palpation (yup, I got very dirty, and remember that quote from my classmate about the cow farting in her face, that happened to me this time) but also practiced drawing blood from the tail vein and practiced the technique used for tuberculosis testing (lift up the tail and inject a small amount of fluid in the folds connecting the tail to the back end of the cow).  I know this is a little late, but I forgot to include it last week.

Today was our group's second surgery.  This time I was the assistant surgeon so I was gowned and gloved up and assisted Olga (the surgeon this week) when she needed it.  Our patient is a small 4.4 pound beagle/terrier mix (or something like that) and is exceptionally cute, most of our classmates think she's the cutest surgery patient this week.  Her uterus was extremely tiny, I mean not even the width of a pencil.  This made it challenging for Olga to find but once she found it she was on her way and everything went smoothly!

This afternoon we learned about bull reproductive diseases and llama/alpaca reproduction, always fun!  


No comments: