Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Weekend

Well, my study free weekend is rapidly coming to a close!  Friday night I left with two of my classmates and headed to South Bend, IN to spend some time with the vet who will be in Mexico with us in January and to practice some techniques on his horses.  We got there later on Friday evening and spent some time visiting with him before going to bed.  About 5AM he came into my room and woke me up and told me that his wife was bringing him to the hospital as he was having trouble urinating and his abdomen was swelling up.  So, us three ended up spending time with his son who is a ferrier (person who shoes horses) instead.  The vet got out of the hospital but was told he has an enlarged prostate gland so will have to see a urologist about it.  However, there was a lot going on at that point so us 3 vet students just left Saturday early evening to get out of the house and not be in the way.  Today I was in Champaign for church and planned on making some licorice caramels and homemade "thin mint" cookies.  Well, I didn't even get anything made as I ended up slicing my finger on the lid of a sweetened condensed milk can and now have 6 stitches in my left index finger.  Oh well, thus goes life! 

Tomorrow we begin new classes.  We are now going to be taking gastroenterology (stomach and intestinal diseases), urology (diseases of the urinary system), dermatology (skin diseases), and endocrinology (diseases of the endocrine system; ex: pancreas, thyroid gland, etc).  We shall see how it goes!

Warning: slightly long exerpt on something I thought about while waiting for the doctor to come in and stitch up my finger. 
Ever notice how often you go somewhere with plans all laid out for what is going to happen?  I mean, it's set up just right, everything is gonna be good.   Then all the sudden,  boom, everything changes, all out of your control!  That happened twice to me this past weekend with the vet going to the hospital thus making it so that we couldn't practice on his horses, and then today with my finger getting sliced open so I couldn't make caramels and cookies.  I had my plans all set, but God had other plans.  Why? I have no idea.  However, I must say, He had it all planned out.  Yesterday, the ferrier wasn't supposed to be in town however he had thrown his back out so didn't go where he was supposed to.  Thus, he was around for us three students to go out with him instead of being with his father.  Today, my roommate had nothing going on so he had plenty of time to take me to get stitches.  It is rare that he has nothing going on and is just around the apartment.  Coincidence?  I don't think so, God was there letting me know that He is ultimately in control even when I think I have everything figured out. But even though He took over, He made sure that things were still taken care of. It was a good lesson, so I thought I would share!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Homemade caramels and thin mints? We have a regular Rachael Ray here! ;) Great analogy.. Thanks for sharing!