Pages

Saturday, November 3, 2012

ER Day 5

Yesterday was Day 5 of my ER rotation.  There were only two fourth years and then three of us second years so I was able to be pretty involved which was nice.  I pulled blood from my first dog yesterday, I had never done it before.  When they said they wanted me to take it from the jugular vein (the big vein that runs along the dog's neck) I was a bit nervous but the tech helped me out and guided me and I succeeded.  We also had a cocker spaniel that came in vomiting and diarrhea and it turned out that he has pancreatitis.  Now he gets to hang out with us for awhile while he tries getting better.  Normally this would signal the end of my rotation and I would be free for the weekend.  However, not so this weekend.  Today I need to be in the ER at 4pm and will be there til around 3AM tomorrow morning or so.  Normally it would be an 11hr shift but with the time change tonight it will be 12 hours instead!  Then tomorrow it's off to Princeville for Rockville potluck!  Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

No comments: