Pages

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Catch Up

Well, it's been a week since I've updated this blog, where does the time go?  Last weekend I was just in Champaign studying away for the exam that's tomorrow (our midterm worth 30% of our final grade).  So, the studying has also consumed the past three evenings and will also consume today. 

Tuesday morning was our group's fourth time in surgery.  This week was my first time being floater (which means the only thing I really had to do was scrub the patient after she was clipped and then hang out and get things when the surgeons/anesthetist needed them).  I have to say it was nice being the floater on the midterm week!  Our patient was a cat this time, first time not having a dog!  She was fine unless you fiddled with her too much then she got a bit grumpy.  However, Tuesday morning we pre-medicated at 720AM and didn't intubate until 915AM.  By that time the pre-med was well worn off and the cat was getting a bit fractious.  Our surgeon got a claw in her cheek and our assistant surgeon got numerous cuts on his hands and wrists.  She was quite a little jerk!  That is the one frustration we have with junior surgery.  Because of our location in the lab we are almost always the last (or close to last group) to get to intubate so our patient is usually waking up from the pre-medications at that point.  Fortunately this was our first patient who got nasty during that time.

Yesterday afternoon was my dentistry lab and I learned how to perform a root canal, so if you ever need a root canal you just call me up! ;)

Well, after tomorrow morning I have a free weekend, so no studying for me!  I plan to go to the Purdue singing tomorrow evening and then head to my cousins Saturday afternoon and be in Roanoke church Sunday as I have never been there before. I am definitely looking forward to a relaxing weekend!

No comments: