Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2014

5/29

Today I went to a dairy farm where we dried a couple cows off (put antibiotic into their mammary glands and put sealant into their teats so that they will stop producing milk) and also vaccinated some calves.  In the afternoon, one of my classmates and I went to the necropsy floor to see the necropsy of a calf that had died that was seen by my classmate the day before.  Near the end of the day I was down in the farm animal ward when a cria (baby alpaca) and its mother were brought in.  The cria wasn't suckling well from the mother.  So, a couple people ended up milking the alpaca.  During this time, someone started talking about if anyone had ever tried alpaca milk.  No one had but no one really seemed to want to so I said I would give it a whirl.  I sucked just a small amount of the milk out of the cup into a syringe and put it in my mouth.  It was hard for me to really get a good taste due to the small amount of milk I had but at least now I can say I tried it!

No comments: