Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Cataract Surgery

Ophthalmology has been going well.  Yesterday I took in a dog who stayed overnight and had cataract surgery today.  She has diabetes and a common consequence of diabetes in dogs is cataracts.  She had a hole cut in her eye, her lenses were broken up and sucked out of her eye and then on her right eye, a new lens was placed.  No lens was placed in her left eye due to there being a tear in the capsule that surrounds the lens in that eye.  It was neat to see and she's doing well, actually went home today already but will be back tomorrow for a recheck.  This morning, I sat with her for an hour and 20 minutes.  Before cataract surgery, the dogs have to have four different kinds of eye drops put in their eyes four different times.  However, between each drop you have to wait five minutes.  So, every five minutes I was putting eye drops in both her eyes and it took about 80 minutes for me to complete.  I don't think I've ever put that many eye drops in in my life, never mind in one time! 

In other news, I signed up for boards yesterday.  I will be taking boards on Wednesday December 3, 2014 at 8AM.  The time slot to take the exam is 7.5 hours long so that should be awesome.  Can't believe it's already getting to be time for me to take boards, where has the time gone!?

1 comment:

Heidi B said...

Glad I could go home so soon after surgery! ;)