Pages

Monday, December 8, 2014

Anesthesia

This past weekend was great, didn't do anything related to school and spent the weekend at my cousins.  Had a Christmas get together Saturday then got to see some people from Connecticut in Roanoke church on Sunday. 

Today was day one of my anesthesia rotation.  I was admittedly a little nervous about this rotation as it seemed like everyone was always hustling about and running around and I like things to be more laid back.  When the anesthesia group got together, there were only three cases for the day.  I ended up with a dog that had a laparoscopic spay and gastropexy performed.  On the white board the anesthesiologist had written VIP under the dog's name.  Turns out, the dog's owner is a rather well known individual.  I ended up taking that case to which some people said, No pressure Dave it's only "Jane Doe's" dog.  Everyone was really trying to make sure that nothing went wrong.  It was a little overwhelming trying to figure out everything that needed to be done as it was my first time, and at times there were around 10 people watching (my classmates, some other doctors, and 2nd year vet students who are shadowing us in the clinic).  However, we got her knocked out, into surgery, and recovered all without hitch so that was good.  There were five cases scheduled for tomorrow and since I had one today I was not assigned a case.  However, I will be ready to take one if another case is added on at some point.  

No comments: