Pages

Saturday, April 12, 2014

2 Weeks Down, 50 To Go!

Hard to believe that two weeks of clinics have already gone by.  Thursday and Friday mornings were composed of lectures covering eye pathology, skin pathology, cytology of effusions (fluids that have leaked into the body cavities), and zoonotic diseases (diseases that can go from animal to human).  Thursday afternoon my fellow cytology students and I looked at slides of infectious and inflammatory diseases as well as some round cell tumors.  Learning experience for you all:
There are 5 round cell tumors:
1. lymphoma: cancer of some of your white blood cells
2. plasma cell tumors: cancer of the cells that produce antibodies in an animal
3. transmissable venereal tumor: one of very few cancers that can be spread during mating
4. histiocytoma: cancer of cells that consume foreign debris in the animals body
5. mast cell tumor: cancer of cells that are involved in allergic reactions

Friday afternoon we looked at slides of effusions and also at some exotic slides such as blood smears from a snake and parrot and some cytologies from a mass on the head of a degu (a type of rodent), etc. I really enjoyed my week on cytology.  Cytology is something that practicing veterinarians will do quite often so it was nice getting some practice in.  The next two weeks I will be on necropsy again so my cytology days are over.

A block of rotations is officially over and B block starts Monday. So, most of my classmates are finishing up with their A block rotation and will start with something new Monday morning. However, since Diagnostic Medicine is a 2 block rotation I will continue on this rotation for another two weeks. 

I am looking forward to seeing my family in just an hour or so, will be nice to spend some time with them!

No comments: