Pages

Saturday, July 12, 2014

More Africa Pictures

I have a few more pictures from Africa that were taken by people other than me.  First, just a quick update, I have completed my first week of my neurology rotation.  It has been great, we are seeing quite a few patients, many of whom have required surgery.  My little dachshund went home this morning.  We are hoping that eventually he will start walking but only time will tell.  Right now we only have two patients in the hospital, both in the ICU.  Unfortunately, they are both major screamers and make a ton of racket whenever you try to do anything to them.  While neither one has actually bitten someone, they have both tried which is always fun.  When we were done working with them this morning, my ears were actually ringing a little bit because they are so loud.  Can't wait to do it all over again tomorrow morning!

Without further ado, here are some more pictures, in no particular order:

Climbing up a huge tree in the middle of the plains during the safari

Playing "Switzerland Memory" at the second hotel

Dr. Bennett and I on the safari

Nicki and myself both suturing at the same time.  This dog's uterus and ovaries were very fragile and ended up ripping so we had to make her incision a lot bigger, pull most of her guts out and find the stump of tissue that was left behind so we could tie it off to make it stop bleeding.  In an effort to cut down on the total surgery time, I closed the fat layer just under the skin while Nicki came behind me and sutured the skin closed

Here I have the famous "tick hemostats."  These hemostats were used daily as many of the dogs had a number of ticks in their ears and around their heads and necks.

Photo taken of us sitting on the edge of the rocks overlooking the Tanzania countryside during our hike on the Sunday between our two weeks of surgery

Changing the tire on our truck. This was flat tire #1 of 3 flat tires we had in about 1 1/12 days between our normal truck and the truck we took on the safari. 

Myself, Samwel (our safari guide), Dr. Bennett, and Dr. Hoenig.  My four classmates were sitting on a grate that was on top of the actual cab of the truck.  It looked extremely uncomfortable so I stayed down on the somewhat cushioned seats.

Dr. Hoenig and I looking out over the hippos in the pond

 Me spaying a dog

 Mike, Ani, me, Samwel, Dr. Bennet, and Dr. Hoenig on the safari

Mike and I hanging out by the pool at the resort

Dr. Bennett was demoted from board certified veterinary surgeon in the states to fluid pole on this particular day

This was from day 1 of surgery.  I was the anesthetist in this case and here I am checking the dog's jaw tone.  When a dog is sufficiently anesthetized, their jaw is pretty lax, when they start to get light, they begin to get more tone in their jaw

These are just a couple photos that show that I actually was involved in this trip.  Most of my photos didn't have me in it since I was taking them.  I enjoy looking back at them and remembering this awesome trip!

No comments: