Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

More Africa Pictures

Yes, I have a few more photos to post courtesy of others who were on the trip with me.  First, yet another update:

My little italian greyhound had an MRI and then had his spine tapped to get some cerebrospinal fluid.  Neither of these things showed much for abnormalities.  So, we believe he has what is referred to as Little White Shaker Syndrome.  It is an autoimmune disorder in which the body attacks a part of the brain called the cerebellum.  The treatment is steroids so my little guy was just started on those tonight and hopefully he can go home tomorrow.  

I am looking forward to this weekend when my brother, and a couple friends (one from Oregon and one from Iowa) are going to be in Champaign with me.  

Now, here's the pictures:

Here I am sitting with a dog I had just spayed.  She had very fragile tissue and part of her tissue actually ripped before we got it out so her surgery took a little longer than normal

Patiently waiting while Dr. Hoenig cleans the surgery site so I can castrate this guy

Mike, myself and Nicki swimming in the African waterfall.  The red-haired girl in the front of the picture was not with us. The water was extremely cold but it was totally worth it.

Mary and I during the middle of a spay

Mike and I spaying away

The main bulk of our group one day after surgeries

Standing on the balcony of the first hotel

Sunday hike by to the waterfalls

It's hard to see in this picture but we were getting soaked by a heavy mist from the waterfall

Looking out over the Tanzanian countryside

Thought these little guys were pretty cute

Proof that dogs are handled differently in Tanzania compared to most dogs in the states

I had never castrated a cat before and so, on the last day of surgeries I finally had my chance!

No comments: