Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Week 4 Day 1

Today was a pretty busy day.  I am in equine medicine and surgery this week and am looking forward to a good week in which I hope to learn a lot as I know almost nothing about horses!  We had our colloquium this morning (the lectures that are from 8-850AM on MWF) on dissecting peer-reviewed journal articles and then it was off to ward 2 in the large animal hospital.  After an orientation session, I shadowed my fourth year student who was working on a horse who had come in slightly lame on its front left leg.  After lunch us first years had a session on basic handling of horses, basic restraint, and the external parts of the horse.  Having basically no horse experience at all, I must say that it felt good when I was able to halter a horse, take it for a very brief walk and then unhalter it all with no issues at all.  After our session we spent a couple hours watching a surgery on a horse who had an impaction/blockage in its colon.  We watched via a television in a small room in the large animal clinic.  The camera in the acutal surgery room is focused right on the action so you can really see what's going on which is real neat.  Tomorrow morning I have to be at school at 6AM to be with my fourth year when he starts treating his cases.  So, tomorrow will be a long day! Now, its time to get a little more work done on my online modules.  These modules are broken up into three parts: medical terminology, breeds and species, and drug calculations.  I have completed the breeds and species, am working on the drug calculations, and have yet to start medical terminology.  They take a considerable amount of time to complete them but I can't complain as that is my only homework for the eight weeks of clinical rotations. 
I will be posting about this past weekend sometime in the near future.

No comments: